Chick Pea, Butternut Squash & Spinach Curry
A delicious, mild and creamy curry made using coconut cream. Vegan.
- 200 g butternut squash chopped into small cubes
- 200 g sweet potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 60 g spinach
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger grated
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 500 ml vegetable stock (stock cubes are fine)
- 50 g coconut cream (use the solid sachets)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
In a part pot, fry the diced onion over a low heat until see through (roughly 5 minutes)
Add the garlic, ginger, cardamom pods, curry leaves and fry slowly over a low heat for a further 2-3 minutes
Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric and fry gently for another minute or so.
Add the vegetable stock, the sweet potato and butternut squash. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the potato and squash have softened.
Add the chickpeas, spinach and coconut cream and simmer gently for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
This is very mild, if not totally absent of spice - however, all you need to do is add some sliced red chilli to the second stage to add some heat. Add as much or as little as you like.