Curried Butternut Squash & Lentil Soup
This soup is like a hug in a bowl, perfect for the cold week ahead…
- 1 white onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb sized piece fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash diced
- 1 medium sized sweet potato (optional)
- 200 g red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (or fresh)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander stalks finely chopped
- 30 g creamed coconut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Sweat the onions in a large soup pot with the olive oil for 8-10 minutes
Add the butternut, sweet potato, garlic, ginger and spices, including the coriander stalks and allow to sweat over a low-medium heat for another 8-10 inutes. If you have more time, you could roast the squash and SP in the oven for 30 minutes beforehand.
Stir through the rinsed lentils, then add the vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until everything is softened.
Stir through the creamed coconut and serve with some freshly chopped coriander.