Smoky Black Bean and Butternut Stew
This is a proper throw it in the pot, stick the lid on and walk away kinda dish. Or whack it all in the slow cooker.
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or grated
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 6 carrots chopped in 1cm thickness (discs)
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 440g tin of black beans (any type of beans would do)
- 1 44g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp chipotle paste or more, if you would prefer it to be hotter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
Gently fry the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes on a medium heat, until see through and starting to brown on the edges. Take your time doing this, it bring out the sweetness of the onion. Then, add the garlic and stir through for another minute or two.
Add all of the other ingredients and put the lid on the pan. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the squash and carrots are softened.
Serve this in a bowl on its own with some wilted spinach and avocado, or transfer to a baking dish, add a couple of eggs on top and bake in a preheated oven (200 degrees) for 10 minutes until the eggs are cooked through.